Looking for a simple web chat etiquette guide your agents can use? Today’s your lucky day.
In a recent blog post, we reported that 37% of customers prefer web chat to other channels. And honestly, as far as channels of communication go, web chat is by far the most efficient. It’s fast, both your agent and customer can get to the point quickly, and it beats the hell out of picking up the phone.
Indeed, chances are you’re already using web chat in your contact or support center.
We recently found a cool little ebook about web chat – with a not-so-cool little statistic: according to the author, 90% of call center agents type with two fingers and are notoriously bad at written communication. Yikes.
But before you start panicking, grab a towel and take a glance at our top tips for using web chat in your contact center.
- Always introduce yourself to your customer. We recommend copying and pasting a pre-existing introduction to save time.
- Don’t do or say anything on web chat that you wouldn’t over the phone. Basically, keep your cool and be professional at all times.
- Use scripts where possible. One perfectly structured and easy-to-understand response can be used to make more than one customer’s life easier, especially if you deal with similar queries often.
- Tone can be misunderstood. Read through your wording carefully to ensure it’s not ambiguous in any way.
- Avoid jargon and acronyms. You and your colleagues may throw them around, but your customer won’t appreciate terms they don’t understand.
- Never resort to slang. It’s tacky.
- Ask questions and offer solutions. i.e., Have you tried hard-refreshing the page?
- Spelling and grammar are important. It’s professional and evokes a sense of expertise. You want your customer to be confident in your abilities.
- Keep it short and to the point and use easy-to-understand words.
- Stay away from negative language. Rephrase sentences positively. (As mentioned in our blog post about call-center scripts.)
- Don’t use text abbreviations like BRB or LOL. The occasional smile emoji is perfectly fine though. 🙂
- Never type in caps. It’s the equivalent of shouting into the phone.
- Remember that your chat will be viewable after the query is resolved. Best not make promises or offers that you can’t commit to.
- Be clear that you’re signing off from the chat in your final response. i.e., Please let me know if you need any more assistance today. Enjoy your day further!
Like what you see? Then pass these along to your agents right away.
According to CCW’s Live Chat Benchmarking Report 2018, companies are receiving more chat queries than ever before (a yearly increase of 85%), proving that customers are increasingly turning to web chat as their preferred channel.
It’s never been more important to focus your efforts on getting this channel right.
Read more top tips about getting the best out of web chat here.
21 thoughts on “Web Chat Tips You Can Apply in Your Contact Center”
Good article. I am experiencing many of these issues as well..
I’ve been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours nowadays,
but I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
It is pretty price sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made
good content material as you probably did, the internet will probably be
a lot more helpful than ever before.
Hiya Evergreen, We really appreciate your feedback! Thanks and enjoy the reading 😉
Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would
be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to inver grove heights new
homes (http://www.eternityhomesllc.com) posts.
Great to hear that you have enjoyed our blogs.
Yes, you can follow Zailab on Twitter, Linkedin and/or Facebook.
Hi to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this
webpage; this blog consists of remarkable and really good information for readers.
Great to hear! Thanks and do check our other blogs as well 😉
Heya are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world
but I’m trying to get started and set up
my own. Do you need any html coding expertise
to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!
What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads.
I’m hoping to give a contribution & help different customers like its aided me.
Look into my blog post: คาสิโนออนไลน์เว็บตรง
Howdy are using WordPress Kinesio Taping Treatment for the Disorders of Dancers your blog platform?
I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own.
Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you happen to be
a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will
often come back at some point. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice
For most recent news you have too visit internet and on web
I found this website as a most excellent web site for latest
Look into my web page – Become Creative
I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;
Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after browsing through many of the
articles I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!
Feel free to surf to my web-site: blog tutorial (Daniele)
Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest
authoring on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same topics
you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers
would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.
Review my site; hudson truck repair
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the
video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why
waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening
Here is my web blog jasa publikasi media online
Excellent article! We are linking to this particularly great post on our website.
Keep up the great writing.
my page – jasa pembuatan program kasir
I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of your
site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people
could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?
my page jasa desain company profile
This information is priceless. Where can I find out more?
Also visit my web page; jasa foto drone di jakarta
I think what you published made a bunch of sense. However, what about this?
what if you typed a catchier post title? I ain’t suggesting
your information isn’t solid, but what if you added a headline that
grabbed folk’s attention? I mean Web Chat Tips You Can Apply in Your Contact Center – Zailab is kinda vanilla.
You ought to glance at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they
create news titles to get viewers interested.
You might add a related video or a pic or two to grab people interested about what you’ve written. Just
my opinion, it might bring your posts a little bit more interesting.